Project 03

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
dearangela

Project 03

Post by dearangela »

Hey everyone,

I came across this website: https://www.torontocupcake.com/index.html
and thought it could use some help. I love using shapes to help to direct the eye across the pages, but I need more contrast within these designs color-wise. I scratched their old logo and decided to change some colors and add a cherry for a pop of color.
The original website had a lot of inconsistency and repeated its logo 8 times and thought I would put a focal point in the cupcake and the brand name. I plan on trying to make it more spacious and less tight, I think I might have too much information on the homepage.
bad_website-01.jpg
bad_website-05.jpg
bad_website-02.jpg
bad_website-06.jpg
bad_website-03.jpg
bad_website-07.jpg
bad_website-04.jpg
bad_website-08.jpg
angela_gutierrezgapuz

Kassandra

Re: Project 03

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Angela,
I'm liking your second web design for this site. I like how the logo is in-between the photos and everything else looks clean. I would incorporate the pink and white from the bottom layout to this one because I like that better. Maybe making the logo a smidge smaller just, giving a little space at the bottom for the sections, and giving space to the text within the box. Other than that, this is looking good :).
Kassandra Fuentes

estrellau

Post by estrellau »

Hello,
I really like the 3rd one I like how you separate the Pink and the white and have the cupcake logo in the middle. Nice job :D
I'm trying my best ┐(´∀`)┌ .......
Estrella

kmohara5190

Post by kmohara5190 »

Hi Angela,
I think I prefer your second design because the two different pinks create more contrast and make it easier to read. Making the lighter pink white would make it even easier to read and break up the pink. Good work!
Last edited by kmohara5190 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kierann O'Hara

Krueckl

Post by Krueckl »

Hi Angela,
I think you did a great job on all of your designs. The third one stands out the most to me because I really like the use of space as well as the colors white and pink. It pops out at you. It was a very cute feel and the font you used is easy to read and gives a whimsical feel to the theme. The mobile version would benefit from some more buttons for navigation unless you are just planning on it being a scroll down. I think you have done a really nice job so far!
:) KATHY RUECKL

it's_crysta

Post by it's_crysta »

Hi Angela, I really like your last two designs, the first two feel a little cramped, having the solid white helps with contrast, though I do think the introduction of another color would help. Looks good so far!
it's Crysta (Clark)

i feel like i'm on neopets again

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Wait, Among Us cupcakes? What is the world coming to? Oh well, they're significantly less terrifying that those Elmo and Cookie Monster cupcakes. Yikes!

I like your second design best. It uses contrast much more than the first. I like that the "header" basically divides the page in half. That's a really neat look and worth exploring. I also like how it flip-flops on the inner page and now the top is the lighter parts and the bottom is the darker part. Your logo bisects that on the home page and that's just a neat look, packed full of visual interest. This whole thing has a great visual texture to it. Your colors are very strong. White and various tints and shades of pink play well together. It gives what is actually a pretty hard edged design a soft, gentle feel. Because of the skillful use of contrast here everything really stands out well and is easy to find, including your navigation and critical content. Good photo selection, too. They really help show the product off even if some of them are ... unsettling. Great type choices through the whole thing. Your type works well together and establishes kind of a 50's soda fountain feel, which is an interesting look.

My big issue with it is that your computer layout has waaaaaay too tight a margins. Everything is crammed together. Give everybody space to breathe. What confuses me a bit is that your mobile designs are much more open and airy. Take heed of them and add that same open feeling to your computer layout.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Hamistani

Post by Hamistani »

Hello Angela,
I prefer the second design over the first design because it looks a bit more spaced out. I really like the white in the last pictures becasue I think it gives the website a bit more contrast and makes the pink pop. I would give the images more space because it's a bit crowded. I love the fonts you chose and the cupcake image. Great job!
- Heather Amistani
Ehhh, What's up Doc? ;)

Mal-Festio

Post by Mal-Festio »

Hello Angela,

I you have excellent choices of colors and layouts in both of you concepts. I think either is a fine choice. But I think I do enjoy the bold pink you have in your second a lot more. It think its appealing how you have the pink and white invert. But I also think the font you chose for the first are really great as well.
Jordi Cruz Trujillo

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Hi Angela,
I think your second design is working better than the first. While they are both very pink, I like the solid pink color that your are using in your second design, it gives a much better contrast against the white. I also think your typography is working better is this design. I love how you redesigned the logo and have that diamond shape behind it to further separate it from the background of white and pink. I do think that top piece of pink is a little too big, because now you are having to smoosh all that other info into those rectangles and the images are smaller. If you make the pink smaller, even if you don't make the white elements larger, you could spread them out so they don't look so smooshed down there while the text in the pink has all this room to breath.
JacklynYamine